Making a lifetime of difference to children in schools
One in ten children aged between 5 and 16 years (three in every classroom) has a mental health problem.
Many continue to have these problems into adulthood. Half of those with lifetime mental health problems first experience symptoms by the age of 14.
Place2Be is the leading children’s mental health charity providing in-school support to improve the emotional wellbeing of pupils, families and school staff, and expert training for professionals working with children.
‘Place2Be has made me feel stronger and now I feel I can talk to people about anything on my mind’
Year 5 girl, Place2Be School
Without support, children facing challenges such as bereavement, domestic violence, family breakdown or neglect can easily go off the rails. Place2Be’s counselling services – based in schools – help stop the downward spiral, resulting in happier children who are able to learn. This work includes:
- Providing support for children and giving them the tools to cope with life’s challenges
- Supporting parents, grandparents and carers to develop self-confidence, improving relationships with their children and school
- Piloting new work – M-PACT Plus supports families dealing with the hidden harm of drug or alcohol addiction
- Working with school staff and professionals to reduce time away from core teaching, improving morale, confidence and help manage stress
- Offering a range of professionally validated qualifications in counselling to support children in finding ways to flourish
To find out more about running for Place2Be, please contact [email protected]